Shaahima Fahim

UPDATE: Dubai Silence on the Call to Prayer

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

In a recent conversation it was brought to my attention that a certain residential community in Dubai may have taken to silencing the Muslim call to prayer in deference to tenants’ complaints.

I was told that most non-Muslim (and even some non-practicing Muslims) residents had petitioned for the action, deeming the Adhaan a ‘nuisance,’ ‘public disturbance,’ and even going so far as to categorize it under ‘noise pollution.’

As a Muslim, that’s a rather harsh pill to swallow. Even more bitter was the possibility that the developer had surrendered to these absurd charges, supposedly effectively quashing what is not just an Islamic ordainment, but what is a fundamentally native observance to any Muslim country.

Taking the word of a source, this post was previously a textual finger-pointing not only at those residents of the UAE but also the authorities for petitioning and allowing this to be followed through.

I have since been informed by both residents of the development in question as well a member of the community’s mosque committee, that the latter assertion was incorrect. The Adhaan continues to be sounded at each prayer, and, moreover, the authorities would not allow any such silencing.

The older post has now been replaced with this update.

As soon as the previous article was up, it was met with outrage. Indignant protests from Muslims, and more heartening from a greater majority of non-Muslim expatriates at the possibility that this was true. Many found it disrespectful and near-impossible to imagine that anyone would create a furore over a host country’s cultural (if not religious) affiliations, especially after having been accommodated so liberally.

Most who commented on the issue, did so along the lines of a Devina Devicha:

I’m not Muslim, but the news that they’re quashing the call to prayer is appalling. People need to realize they’re in a Muslim country, and part of religion means people are going to pray. If the method of prayer involves adhaan 5 times a day, so be it. I’ve lived near mosques before and this hasn’t bothered me.

I realize I have the distinct advantage of growing up in Dubai, so adhaan is normal to me. Perhaps those coming in from elsewhere find it hard in the beginning? Even if that’s the case, it’s part of the country’s culture and religious behaviour, and can’t be removed (although your piece shows it’s starting to go down that path!). I lived in the UK for a while, and the cathedral near where I lived would have pealing bells on Sunday afternoon…do you think anyone would call for the bells to be silenced calling it noise pollution?

Look, my brother has autism and part of his autism means that he cannot handle loud sounds, so sometimes he has gotten upset by the call to prayer, and in those situations we try and move him away from the sound, so he can calm down. I’m not going to petition for the call to prayer to be dampened just because his auditory senses are hyper-sensitive!

It’s not noise pollution; I was in India in January, I was outside a church ready to attend a wedding, and while Mass was going on inside, a mosque right behind the church started its call to prayer and I felt at home.”

The Azaan/Adhaan, for those who aren’t too familiar, is the scheduled summoning by the muezzin (assigned caller) of a mosque calling all practising Muslims to worship – namely for the five daily prayers divinely prescribed via the Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) during his miraculous journey, Isrá wa Mi’raj (the anniversary of which is a public holiday in the Emirates).

Re. the advent of the Adhaan:

When the Muslims arrived at Medina, they used to assemble for the prayer, and used to guess the time for it. During those days, the practice of Adhaan for the prayers had not been introduced yet. Once they discussed this problem regarding the call for prayer. Some people suggested the use of a bell like the Christians, others proposed a trumpet like the horn used by the Jews, but ‘Umar was the first to suggest that a man should call (the people) for the prayer; so Allah’s Apostle ordered Bilal to get up and pronounce the Adhaan for prayers – Ibn Umar [Bukhari :: Book 1 :: Volume 11 :: Hadith 578]

The wording of the Adhaan in itself is said to be a loose synopsis of the Islamic faith, and is repeated as follows:

Allahu Akbar(x4) – God is Great
Ashhadu an la ilaha illa Allah(x2) – I bear witness that there is no god except the One God.
Ashadu anna Muhammadan Rasool Allah(x2) – I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of God.
Hayya ‘ala-s-Salah(x2) – Hurry to/rise up for the prayer
Hayya ‘ala-l-Falah(x2) – Hurry to success

[During pre-dawn prayer: As-salatu Khayrun Minan-nawm(x2) – Prayer is better than sleep]

Allahu Akbar(x2) – God is Great
La ilaha illa Allah(x1) – There is no god except the One God

From the above, it is understood then that the Adhaan serves primarily as a melodious reminder of religious commitment to those preoccupied with the day’s non-spiritual obligations. Although some may argue that in this current age of sophisticated gadgetry devices can be programmed for the same, the exotic allure of the call cannot be denied.

Although this particular allegation has proven to be only partially true – the calls for the quietening of mosques in Dubai is real and is not new. Back in 2007, a certain property developer was under media and public scrutiny for luring potential investors to their luxury residences using assurances that the daily five times call to prayer would be silenced.

The UAE, Dubai especially, is extremely liberal in aspects of religious and cultural tolerance – rhetoric so oft-repeated that this in itself may as well be the bait that lures expats to set up camp.

Islam is not imposed on any resident, and aside from the call for decency in dress-code, stringent legislation enforcing a set attire is non-existent. Hindu temples and churches of all factions have propped up in the past 40 years of the county’s establishment, and even alcohol/pork consumption is not the anathema Western media just love to portray.

Admittedly there are a few Muezzins who don’t ‘carry the tune’ of the Adhaan as melodiously as others more rhythmically-endowed, but the less-stubborn alternative employed is choosing to reduce the decibel-level of the Adhaan; (especially for the early morning and min-afternoon prayer), out of consideration for the neighbourhood.

The Adhaan is not a deafening barrage of fire-crackers, nor a series of resounding horns blaring from impatient motorists in a traffic rut – to be classified under ‘noise pollution.’ It is a series of sacred verses dear to the devout, calling the faithful to prayer.

This misunderstanding has proven if not anything else, the level of accommodation by the varying cultures represented by the expatriates living here in the Emirates – of the values and practices it upholds affiliating it to an Islamic state.

While there will always be a handful of those not as understanding of the country’s cultural and religious values, it is comforting to witness that the numbers appreciative of the same visibly exceeds the latter.

A lesson learned in issues of verification, and an eye-opener to this unorthodox form of patriotism not likely to be witnessed anywhere else.

“They… were lined up praying, their shadows long upon the desert floor. I was watching them and thinking how this ritual must have remained unchanged in every detail since it was first prescribed by Muhammed…” – Wilfred Thesiger, Arabian Sands, 67.

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

21 Responses to UPDATE: Dubai Silence on the Call to Prayer

1. Islam Hussen Pakhtoon 19/06/2013 at 1:18 AM

Shall I tell you something the only reason I am where I am is to look after my family as I heard that whoever cuts of ties with his family allah cuts ties with him but if my family weren’t here i would die trying to live in a country where I can here the azan full blast. Its appaling to see muslims make such comments, prayer is obligatory so why complain about the azan being publised in a muslim country as well. Success is from god.

2. Srikanth 27/05/2012 at 9:35 PM

I am not against the Adhan/Azaan.The thing is dont quash it but make it mandatory that no Loud speakers be used in between 10 pm to 6 am unless it is urgent.I have heard many a times the loudspeakers disturbing my 6 months old kid during his sleep in the late night.God knows the struggle of a parent to make a baby of this age to sleep.Its too hard..Be practical.

3. Shameela ? (@shameelat76) 06/03/2012 at 9:22 PM

@ErmSquirm thankyou,very interesting abt media freedom. Read this http://t.co/CrzY4nnP

4. Henry 06/03/2012 at 1:51 PM

Karl,

As the real Popper said, “Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite.” Personally I thought the real point of the story – which remains valid – is that people do call for mosques to be silenced. Interestingly this is not a religious thing – Muslims also make the call if they live next to one.

I like most readers enjoy the call to prayer. It’s one of the few things that reminds me I am in another culture, and it’s rather magical. Of course, I am not sure if my view would change if I lived in a villa beneath a minaret. Still… If I did I would not complain even then as it would be my choice to live there.

It has been an interesting debate to follow….

5. Karl Popper 06/03/2012 at 11:34 AM

Shaahima,

Your article is unpleasant in tone and provocative in content. Your original publication of the completely unfounded claim that residents called for the azaan to be “silenced”, apparently based on nothing more than an unfounded rumour passed on during “a recent conversation” with “a source”, was irresponsible and inflammatory in the extreme. Actions like yours achieve nothing other than to damage relations between the various cultures and communities residing together in the UAE.

Since this “misunderstanding” was caused entirely by commentators like yourself misrepresenting the legitimate and respectful concerns of a number of unfortunate Dubai residents, I contend that what it actually demonstrates is the tendency for knee-jerk overreactions from religious zealots to anything which they see as potentially critical of their lifestyle or beliefs, however unfounded these concerns may be in reality.

Above all, your failure to apologise for the lies that you have propagated is extremely disappointing. Instead you have chosen to highlight one of the “outraged” responses to your non-story – why, when the original accusations have already been shown to be false? What is the point of highlighting someone’s outrage at a situation which has shown to be completely imaginary?

I hope that this has indeed been a “lesson learned in issues of verification” for you, but your subsequent handling of the situation gives me little cause for optimism.

Regards,

Karl

• Kieran 06/03/2012 at 2:44 PM

Well said Mr. Popper

6. Bilal Khan 06/03/2012 at 7:03 AM

Apparently here in the borough of Brooklyn and Bronx in New York, there have emerged the mosques that use open air loud speakers on top of the mosque building for call to prayers. The local black Muslim community has gone strong and powerful enough that, forget the hypocrites, even the cops try to avoid going into these areas.
    We live in such a dynamic world now that the mechanics are really amazing sometimes, isn’t it?

7. Ali (@AliAlKhoori) 06/03/2012 at 12:44 AM

My pick – Article of the month. “A Dubai Silence on the Call to Prayer” http://t.co/9YrIMuYV #UAE #Dubai #AbuDhabi

8. Sahar 05/03/2012 at 3:01 PM

Noor Rauf
    This is a Muslim country!!!! Has Dubai forgotten that amidst its non muslim expat glitterati population. Each place is known for its unique culture and same goes for Dubai. Imagine a Dubai with no dishdasha/ abaya robed citizens, no shindagha, no museums, and no azaan!!!! No seriously!!!! Dubai think about all those things that make you unique!

Re. the advent of the Adhaan:

9. Safa 05/03/2012 at 6:08 AM

Heinous.Disgraceful.Appalling and disgusting. If the Adhan that lasts for 2-3 mins maximum causes noise pollution,then so do those numerous concerts and night clubs that have a deafening noise of music going around that can be heard from far away.
    Pathetic and low as this sounds, if Dubai allows this it will be a shame to Muslim country. The residents are idiots who are complaining for this because as far as they are in the Muslim country they SHOULD obey the laws. Its pathetic what the world has come to specially Muslims . So many people convert to Islam after hearing the call to prayer, and what are these handful illiterates are trying to do is nothing but pure shame.

10. Sahar Zaidi (@SaharZaidi) 05/03/2012 at 3:11 AM

A Dubai Silence on the Call to Prayer:non-muslims & muslims alike deem the Azaan a nuisance. #Dumbfounded #unbelievable http://t.co/Sf1SU7wZ

11. Dubai News & Views (@DubaiNameShame) 04/03/2012 at 8:00 PM

A Dubai Silence on the Call to Prayer: http://t.co/MqhIR4io – I dont like article like this!!! The Adhaan is playing in AR – I can hear it!

12. vatyma (@vatyma) 04/03/2012 at 6:33 PM

Call to prayer silenced in Dubai http://t.co/gbAXkBKH

13. Nutella Rani :D (@TheRoyalRani) 04/03/2012 at 3:55 PM

http://t.co/tz5cXC6q – A Dubai Silence on the Call to Prayer by @Shaahima. Loved how it’s written mashaAllah! Must read.

14. Rami 04/03/2012 at 3:04 PM

“And while the majority of non-Muslim expatriates appreciate the Adhaan for its affiliation to an Islamic state, even anticipating its dulcet harmony, there seems to be a fermenting unease of the same.” Yeah right…

15. Rachel McArthur (@Raych__M) 04/03/2012 at 2:47 PM

They’ve banned the call to prayer in Arabian Ranches following complaints. WTF? “A Dubai Silence on the Call to Prayer” http://t.co/YReME7Tu

16. Rachel McArthur 04/03/2012 at 2:45 PM

This really annoys me. Honestly, if people are happy enough to move to the UAE to double their salary and live in fancy villas in Arabian Ranches, then they should bloody well accept that at the end of the day it is a MUSLIM country and the call to Azan is a simple occurance.

Would love to see an Arab move to the US and try to prevent midnight mass at a church because it is a ‘nuisance’.

17. sabith 04/03/2012 at 12:38 PM

good one sis..proud of you!

18. Devina Divecha (@DevinaDivecha) 04/03/2012 at 12:37 PM

MT @Shaahima: For @MidEastPosts – A #Dubai Silence on the Call to Prayer http://t.co/V7iVbEyL Debate/airing of opinions encouraged. #UAE

19. Devina Divecha 04/03/2012 at 12:35 PM

Well-written piece.

I also realize I have the distinct advantage of growing up in Dubai, so adhaan is normal to me. Perhaps those coming in from elsewhere find it hard in the beginning? Even if that’s the case, it’s part of the country’s culture and religious behaviour, and can’t be removed (although your piece shows it’s starting to go down that path!). I lived in UK for a while, and the cathedral near where I lived would have pealing bells on Sunday afternoon…do you think anyone would call for the bells to be silenced calling it noise pollution?

20. Shaahima Fahim (@Shaahima) 04/03/2012 at 11:30 AM

My piece for @MidEastPosts – A #Dubai Silence on the Call to Prayer: http://t.co/JEyuPv4A Debate/airing of opinions encouraged. #UAE