‘Charlie’ Had His ‘Angels’, Now Assad Has ‘Lionesses’
Charlie had “Angels,” the late Libyan leader Moammar Gaddafi “Amazons” and now Syrian President Bashar al-Assad “Lionesses” (a play on his name, Assad means lion in Arabic).
The new brigade of women is said to be recruited to man checkpoints and carry out security operations and are part of a new paramilitary force.
The “Lionesses for National Defense” have already been deployed in Homs, where they have been spotted guarding areas where residents still largely support Assad’s regime.
“The Amazonian Guard” was the unofficial name to Gaddafi’s all-female elite cadre of bodyguards also known as “The Revolutionary Nuns,” and “The Green Nuns.”
The group was formed in the early 1980s, after Gaddafi’s official resignation as Libyan head of state in favor of the title of “Brotherly Leader and Guide of the First of September Great Revolution of the Great Socialist People’s Libyan Arab Jamahiriya.”
In the 1970s, American crime drama television series “Charlie’s Angels,” the never-seen Charlie recruits three women to work for his private investigation agency. It was one of the first shows to showcase women in roles traditionally reserved for men.
“Charlie’s Angels” was broadcast in the United States on the ABC Television Network from 1976 to 1981 and was one of the most successful series of the 1970s. In 2000, it was turned into an action comedy film and followed with the 2003 sequel, “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle.”
But back to Assad’s Lionesses, I wonder how they reacted when they heard or read that rape was a significant feature of their government’s war on its own citizens.
What will the Lionesses do when they see elderly Syrians and Syrian women and children being killed?
What will the Lionesses do when they witness warplanes dropping barrel and cluster bombs on their compatriots’ homes and bread lines?
Will the Lionesses’ security duties be to kill more Syrians?
Back to you Lionesses — we are watching.
- Assad: Now We Know Exactly Who We’re Dealing With MICHAEL TOTTEN: There have, according to Bashar Assad, been some 'mistakes'. The only real mistake by Western powers however is to believe what the President tells them. ...
- Assad, the Arab League and More Death in Syria SYRIA NEWS WIRE: The Arab League mission is close to collapse;physically attacked on the streets, verbally attacked by Assad. And the killing continues. ...
- Message for Assad: ‘You Know You’re In Trouble When…’ JUAN COLE: Things are looking grimmer by the day for the regime of Bashar al Assad. Here are a few indicators of major trouble. ...
- The Maths of Death: Assad Treads Fine Line MICHAEL J. TOTTEN: Cool calculation lies behind Syria's targetting of protesters. Too many dead and calls for foreign intervention grow. ...
- Days, Weeks or Months But Assad’s Fall is Assured DAVID ROBERTS: The tactical masterstroke that the Free Syrian Army unleashed on Assad's regime marks a spiral downwards for the regime...
- Syria: It’s Crunch Time for President Assad OMAR AL-ISSAWI: He has support among sections of society in Syria but Assad needs to show resolute leadership if he is to avoid his country spinning into turmoil. ...
by Mich Cafe
Micheline's blog, Mich Cafe, is mostly about her experiences and travels which she writes about and illustrates with old and new pictures. Micheline is based in Dubai, but regularly travels to Beirut.